Practice of kesa, practice of Dharma
Fifty years ago, Master Deshimaru brought to France the seed of Zen, by the practice of zazen and kesa. Currently, many people in the West sew their rakusu, their kesa, according to the method transmitted by the disciples of Deshimaru. Even if you use fabric, needle and thread, it is not a sewing exercise. To sew the kesa is to practice the Dharma of Buddha, Master Kodo Sawaki used to say: "The kesa is the fabric that becomes Buddha."
"During this kesa practice weekend, I would like to address the following points:
- The importance of "person-to-person" transmission in the learning of sewing the kesa;
- The practice of kesa on a daily basis
- Zazen and Kesa."
Françoise Kosen Laurent
Given the current conditions, this Sesshin planned with Françoise Kosen Laurent is postponed to 2021. However, the Sesshin of the Kesa will be maintained this year, and will be organized by Ingrid Gyu Ji Igelnick, on the same dates.
The practice of zazen is the essence of Zen.
Sitting facing the wall on a round cushion (zafu ), the legs in the lotus or semi lotus position, the knees laid down on the ground, the back well straight, the neck stretched, the left hand on the right hand, the edge of the hands on the abdomen, in a total immobility.
The breathing is quiet and the concentration is more directed to the breathing out.
The conscious mind is still, without entertaining nor rejecting the thoughts, we let them pass through the concentration on the posture and the breathing.
This sesshin is managed by Master Gyu Ji Ingrid Igelnick
Ingrid Igelnick came across Zen and met Master Deshimaru in 1978. In 1984, she received the nun ordination by Master Kosen, of whom she received the transmission of the Shiho in 2015.
Parallel to this, she has trained in shiatsu (Zen massage) and she has created Soi-Zen, a clothing workshop for kimonos and kolomos.
She practices zen with her Master since 1992 and assists him in his mission. She has been leading sesshins for several years and also teaches the sewing of the kesa.
This sesshin will occur from Thursday 18 June 2020 (arrivals the evening before), until Sunday 21 June 2020, in Yujo Nyusanji zen temple.
Yujo Nyusanji zen temple
Yujo Nyusanji Zen Temple was founded by Master Kosen, heir of Master Mokudo Taisen Deshimaru's Dharma. Master Kosen, his disciples, and members of Zen Deshimaru Buddhist nonprofit organization retire to the temple to practice sesshins, samu, and daily gyoji. . . and also to recharge their batteries, take a deep breath of mountain air, spot wild mouflons, learn archery, and dive in the peaceful atmosphere of forests and rivers.
The Caroux Zen Temple is located right in the heart of the Haut-Languedoc regional natural park, 1 h 40 west of Montpellier, France.
Route du Hameau de Douch 34610 Rosis - Tel. +33/(0)188.8.131.52.49
How to come
- By car. There are at least four possible routes from the valley of Orb. We suggest you go through Hérépian, d13 towards Saint-Gervais, then d13e12 towards the Horte, then continue to Rosis then to Douch, turn right 1 km before Douch (zen temple sign). Coming from Toulouse, it is faster to pass by the d180 on the Espinouse pass.
- By train, there are bus services for Lamalou for 1.5 euros which leave from Montpellier and Béziers. You can even bring a bike on them.
A pickup is organized in Lamalou, opposite the casino, on the arrival day of sessions and sesshins, by default at 20H05. When you register, just remember to indicate, in the public message field, that you wish to be picked up. Notice that if you need to, it is possible for you to log in again and modify this message. taxi from Lamalou: 06 08 77 12 96 -cost: 25 euros aprox.
- On foot, from Montpellier, do not get off at Lamalou, but in Colombières-sur-orb (bus 15H45 -17H35 from Mosson), go up by the gorges of Colombières, to the left of the river -it is beautiful and, you can swim there. Not to be done if it rains. The journey takes about 2h30, once you arrived at the "Col des Avels", continue to Rosis, then to Douch.
DisplayYujo Nyusanji zen temple into a bigger map
Price :100 €
The participation for the day for the amount of 25 € (20 € for people of modest means) is also possible.
The american plan is included in the price.
Price for children : until 3 years old : fuse (donation) ; from 3 until 8 years old : 30% of adult price ; more than 8 years old : 50% of adult price.
Signups closed for this sesshin